Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The long journey to Chennai

From India Training
I said "the long journey" and 23 hours is long but it was made much shorter by getting business class on Singapore Airlines (called Raffles class after the British founder of the city of Singapore). I'm travelling with Matt and Durai. Our seats were on the upper deck of a 747 and I had the first row behind the cockpit. During boarding, they had a elevator music version of Bob Marley's "Get up, Stand up" playing, pretty much the last song I expected to hear in an anethestized, corporate format. That was a good laugh. The guy sitting next to me spilled my juice all over my seat with a clumsy wave of his arm. Luckily, I wasn't seated at that moment but the dude didn't say anything. He just sat there silently while I wiped up the mess. Not sure what his problem is.
From India Training
They served dinner at 2am right after take off but I wasn't ready to eat. I knocked out to some strong turbulence, woke up, played Mario Bros, watched Click and Cars, had breakfast and soon enough we were in landing in Hong Kong. This is my first touch down in Asia. It was beautiful scene as we flew over cargo ships toward the city surrounded by misty mountains. Walking through the airport in Hong Kong, we took a quick look in the Gucci store and saw some some simple mens leather shoes for $2900 Hong Kong dollars. I asked the sales lady and she said that was about $380 US dollars. Wow. We had a really short layover and were back on the same plane to Singapore, complete with a second breakfast (I feel like a hobbit).
From India Training
I was able to call Mel using Skype from the dope Singapore Airlines lounge here in the airport...only 2.1c per minute. Sweet. Free food (nice buffet), drinks, and showers here. Singapore has been covered in a dense haze for weeks because of forest fires buring in Indonesia. We took a short boat tour around the city and then went to a mountain with a cable car that takes you to a theme park island. The theme park was lame, completely unimpressive but we enjoyed the cable car ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home